Before You Arrive

Visa Information
All overseas students must apply for a student visa before travelling to Australia. To find out more, please contact your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission, or visit

Comprehensive information about the visa application process, student work rights and restrictions, health requirements and other details pertaining to student visas can be found on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
OSHC is insurance to assist international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. As an international student, it is a condition of your student visa that you have OSHC for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Exceptions to this requirement only apply where the DIBP recognises a suitable alternative health cover arrangement. This includes Swedish and Norwegian students who have health cover with the approved home government insurer.

“Dual or multi-family” OSHC provided by Allianz Global Assistance must be arranged if you intend to travel to Australia with your family members as dependents on your student visa.

Students who do not arrive in Australia on a student visa will not be covered by OSHC until they have obtained a student visa.
Click here for more information about OSHC.

Guidelines, Policies and Regulations
The Australian Government would like overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding experience while studying in Australia. Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007.

Books and Miscellaneous Study Expenses
A minimum of $A400 per study period is required for textbooks. Students should also budget for other study related costs such as stationery and subject handbooks.

Emergency Numbers
An emergency is: The actual or imminent occurrence of an event which endangers or threatens the safety or health of any person in the area; and/or destroys, or threatens to destroy or damage any property. In any life threatening emergency call (0) 000 (112 from mobile) and request Police, Fire or Ambulance.

Evacuation Information
Please refer to the following Emergency Information for detailed information on Russo Business School’s evacuation procedure.